Yielly's Alphabet is a blog based on the alphabet. Each month a letter will be chosen at random and our posts will be based on that letter. Suggestions for future letters or posts as well as questions are welcome, just drop us note.

28.1.10

S is for ... Saudade

Saudade was once described as "the love that remains" or "the love that stays" after someone is gone. Saudade is the recollection of feelings, experiences, places or events that once brought excitement, pleasure, well-being, which now triggers the senses and makes one live again. It can be described as an emptiness, like someone ( e.g., one's children, parents, sibling, grandparents, friends) or something (e.g., places, pets, things one used to do in childhood, or other activities performed in the past) that should be there in a particular moment is missing, and the individual feels this absence. In Portuguese, 'tenho saudades tuas', translated as 'I have Saudades of you' means 'I miss you', but carries a stronger tone.
(via wiki)
The first thing that came to me when I thought of an S somehow related to writing (Thursday will be the day dedicated to literature) was the word Portueguese(and Gaelic) word saudade. Saudade is definitely one of my favourite words, partly because it cannot be translated properly into English and partly because the emotion itself is such a heart wrenching emotion. I think we have all felt the emptiness that saudade aims to describe but failed to name it, failed to give it a word or anything more than the waving of arms in the air and a stare into the distance.



PS: I should probably introduce myself but alas I'm terrible at speaking about myself. We will simply call me Yielly's partner in crime and everything else you need to know will be shown by my posts. Already you know I like the word saudade :)

No comments:

Post a Comment