Yielly's Alphabet is a blog based on the alphabet. Each month a letter will be chosen at random and our posts will be based on that letter. Suggestions for future letters or posts as well as questions are welcome, just drop us note.

8.4.10

A is for ... (The Danger of the Single Story)- (Chimamanda) Adichie

If you hadn't already worked out by now that I'm a big fan of Chimamanda Adichie's work from my post on her novel, Half of a Yellow Sun, then I'm a terrible fan. She's arguably one of my favourite authors if not my favourite author. I admire her as both a writer and speaker. So today, instead of raving about her books and short stories (which are beyond amazing), I've decided to share a speech she made as part of the TED talks series, The Danger of a Single Story.


The single story creates stereotypes. And the problem with stereotypes is not that they are untrue, but that they are incomplete. They make one story become the only story.

No comments:

Post a Comment