Yielly's Alphabet is a blog based on the alphabet. Each month a letter will be chosen at random and our posts will be based on that letter. Suggestions for future letters or posts as well as questions are welcome, just drop us note.

25.2.10

S is for ... Season of Migration to the North

I am currently reading 'Season of Migration to the North' by Tayeb Salih. Any one who knows me knows that I have a soft spot for modern classics as well as books that are set in African countries. So when I found 'Season of Migration to the North', I thought Christmas had come early.

Sadly, I'm finding it difficult to get into the novel. There are moments when I find myself immersed in the little village on the edge of the Nile and then there are times when I am confused, finding it difficult to appreciate Salih's work. The English Literature student in me tells me the confusion I feel is the same confusion the narrator feels but I usually tell that side to shut up so I can try and enjoy the book.

I am terrible with reviews and it actually sounds like I dislike the novel, I don't. And if you want moments of exquisite straight to the point prose I highly recommend you read it.


No comments:

Post a Comment