Yielly's Alphabet is a blog based on the alphabet. Each month a letter will be chosen at random and our posts will be based on that letter. Suggestions for future letters or posts as well as questions are welcome, just drop us note.

24.5.10

P is for ... Photography (Month)



May is Photography month, and that's enough to make it amazing for me. A quick search has given me several blogs and websites devoted to National Photography Month. Here they are:

˙ TVO's Photography Month Blog
˙ Take Great Pictures (this is really just a great photography site)
˙ Liz's Photography (also another good site for photographers)
˙ Bravo!Canada (the videos and interviews with photographers are amazing and inspiring)
˙ NaPhoBoMo (learn more about National Photo Book Month)

And doing a quick google search can give you links to several photographic art festivals. I found ones for Mississauga and Brampton, Calgary, Banff, and Ontario. So go out and see what your area has/will be doing to celebrate it!

My favourite photographer (a Canadian one to boot!) is Yousuf Karsh. An absolutely brilliant photographer, I 'discovered' him while researching Canadian heroes two years ago. Since I'm going to do a post about him for either the letter 'y' or 'k', I won't go into too much detail about him. But check out his website and if you live in Ottawa, there's an exhibit you can check out. The site also has a list of all the art museums that contain his work.

I adore his Vancouver at Night , Antique Shop, & Ford of Canada: Rear Window photos. However, he is really known for his portraits. His most famous picture is of Winston Churchill when he was in Ottawa during WWII. I really can't choose a 'favourite' from his impressive collection. However, Mother Teresa, Humphrey Bogart, Georgia O'Keefe, and Jacqueline Kennedy are among my most liked.

Who's your favourite photographer?



No comments:

Post a Comment