Yielly's Alphabet is a blog based on the alphabet. Each month a letter will be chosen at random and our posts will be based on that letter. Suggestions for future letters or posts as well as questions are welcome, just drop us note.

4.2.11

D is for ... Dala

Randomly heard about Dala through my friend Topher, quite randomly, actually. But, because the two of us (and by that I mean: he) are is always talking music, it never really registered and got tossed to the back of my mind.

That is until oh, a month ago, and I was scrolling through Indie_Exchange and saw that someone had uploaded all of their albums for my listening pleasure. Of course, as soon as I saw that they were a.) Canadian and b.) from Toronto, I was all over that like peanut butter on jelly. And since then, it's been a lovely relationship of me hitting repeat on a good portion of their songs. However, none of them as many as this one:




"Why?" some of you may be asking. Well, for one: the harmony is absolutely stunning on this song. The first time I heard it, I just sat back and gaped. (Which is kind of a big deal for me, to be honest. I'm not a huge gaper. Not a really attractive look for me.) And then I hit the repeat button. Again. And again. And again. Then I realized why: because, not only was it beautiful, but the story behind it was something that I could (partially) relate to. At least the beginning part:

"He's got life/that comes and goes/calls me up when he's down/what he'll be no one knows."


It reminds me so much (wow, not even funny how much) of one of my best friends, Travis. A guy with so much potential it almost literally blows my mind away, but, he's a little slow in realizing how much he could do, if only he tried.

"She might love/but she'll never meet/try to catch her in the eye/but she's staring at her feet."

And then that line, that line, I think, describes me. Very well, or at least, very closely.

I think that's what most of our favourite songs have: small bits that remind us of ourselves, or the people that are important to us, and that's what keeps us going back and re: listening: the human element within each of those favourite songs of ours.


No comments:

Post a Comment