Yielly's Alphabet is a blog based on the alphabet. Each month a letter will be chosen at random and our posts will be based on that letter. Suggestions for future letters or posts as well as questions are welcome, just drop us note.

4.2.10

S is for ... (William) Shakespeare

I'm sure I can hear the groans and moans of, "Are you kidding me?!" in the background because you're thinking of all the assignments pertaining to said man through your schooling lives. It seems like Shakespeare is like Uggs, Glee, or Jennifer Aniston's hair in Friends: you either love it or hate it.

I first got my real taste of Shakespeare five...no...seven years ago. I was Peaseblossom from a scene in A Midsummer Night's Dream. To be honest, I still have the script kicking around somewhere in my room. After that, it wasn't until grade nine (about three years later) that I encountered Shakespeare again. Then, it was in the form of Romeo + Juliet. Which, as much as it's also a love/hate piece, I grew addicted through the two movies we watched with it: >Romeo + Juliet and West-Side Story. After viewing the former, I promptly went out and bought it, of course. Then last year it was Macbeth, and this year it's Hamlet. Why schools have a love for the tragedies is beyond me...

What renewed my love in the famed playwright was two things: the movie Shakespeare in Love (go. watch. now.) and his beautiful writing.

Romeo [...] Unto the white-upturned wond'ring eyes
Of mortals that fall back to gaze on him,
When he bestrides the lazy puffing clouds,
And sails upon the bosom of the air.

The words and the way that Shakespeare plays with them just entrances me. Even as he's funny and serious and talking of love. And here be where I end my English nerd-ity.

No comments:

Post a Comment