Yielly's Alphabet is a blog based on the alphabet. Each month a letter will be chosen at random and our posts will be based on that letter. Suggestions for future letters or posts as well as questions are welcome, just drop us note.

2.3.10

H is for ... Here in Your Arms & Hey There Delilah



Sometimes you knowingly make mixtapes for certain things, pick the songs, make sure they go together, they all have a connecting thread. And then sometimes, sometimes mixes make themselves and the songs choose themselves. Summer of 2007, these two songs are at the beginning of a mix that made itself.



It was hot and I was away from home for a week at writing camp (yes, you read that correctly). It was the summer that I found out that people like me for myself, and that I have a voice. A unique voice at that. I remember that my dad made fun of "Hey There Delilah" on the way to Moose Jaw, but by the time I was on the bus back, I had sung this song so many times that it didn't matter.

Here in Your Arms played on repeat at the local swimming post as we walked down the heat baked streets and listened to the kids jumping off the diving boards and the lifeguards sitting outside, tanning and gossiping.

Those are the mixtapes that mean the most.



P.S. I know it's Tuesday. Once again, late. I swear I know how to look at a calendar. By the time I had finished filling out scholarship application forms last night I was so tired I dragged myself to bed. I'm always late though, so it comes as no surprise. =P

1 comment:

  1. Oh cool you went to a writing camp? Oh I'm so jealous! =P

    Oiy I love that song as sad as it is to admit (hey there Delilah) it just takes me back to a time when things were more simple and innocent...

    I hear you on 'mixtapes' how its almost like they have a life of their own, telling a story you never expected but love nonetheless...

    ReplyDelete